Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Stranger in my Bed.

I woke up, the other day, rolled over and saw this bulk of a man in my bed. Now, this is not an odd occurrence. I am married, and the man is not a new one. In fact, it occurred to me as I stared at him, that I have been waking up next to him for almost 10 years.

10 Years.

When you are young, 10 years is the same as Never or Forever.

As soon as you can appreciate that you will drive a car, it will be 10 years before you can. That  will take  FOREVER

Once school becomes not-so-much fun. You have just 10 more years of it. So, you'll NEVER be done.

As a teen, you think things like, I'll never have kids, knowing that you really want some in, oh, like, 10 years.

Or, We'll be BEST friends FOREVER, but your life is taking you in different directions, and in 10 years, regardless of how hard you try, you barely ever see each other.

Or, I'll NEVER be 30.

There's just something very adult about saying anything and adding "for 10 years." To even say you've had the same job for 10 years, or the same house, bad habbit, car, or spouse. You have to be old. Not like super old, but usually, near 30.

Which was OLD, 10 years ago.

So, I look at my husband, and wonder, "Do I know him better than I did, 10 years ago?"

Sure I know more facts about him.

I know he really wants to own a Jeep,
I know he is a big football Fan,
I know he gets sick of  regular sandwiches, but never gets sick of sub sandwiches,
And I know he loves me and our kids.

But often, he gets this mystery look, and I can't figure out what he's thinking about. Or he tries to explain something, and I just can't understand what he is saying. Sometimes, we even agree, but our process was so very different that we begin to debate our reasons for agreeing.

It seems like the more I know about him, the more I want to know.

Maybe this is the desire that grows true love. That the ever-changing person God made us to be, builds up your love, because there is always something new to learn, understand, and desire.


(click Play)

His mind is a mystery that I will never unravel,
His determination is a force that I will never grasp,
His love is a gift, I will never fully see,
And our journey together is one I will never be able to plan.

This man in my bed is a stranger.

I wonder if I will feel that way FOREVER (you know, for the next 10 years.)



...A bit of info...
(The song posted above was sang at our wedding by an amazing couple that we love.)

1 comment: